Sunday, July 18, 2010

Talk of the Town

Today Camille gave her first primary talk in the Steilacoom Ward.  Her topic was, "I can follow Jesus Christ's example." I like to have the children help prepare their own talks, so we talked about some of the things she knows about Jesus. Then we read some stories from the New Testament to help remind her of the things Jesus did and how we can be like him. Then we thought of some examples from her own life of how she's trying to follow Jesus' example.

Camille is a very strong willed child. She has an opinion on just about everything, including the stories to be included in her talk and their exact wording. Writing this talk with Camille was a very challenging experience for me, because I wanted to encourage her input yet stick to the topic at hand.  As I reflect on this experience, I wish I had allotted more preparation time so we could take a break when emotions were running wild. While I currently find Camille's stubborn side quite distressing (probably because I'm just as stubborn), I pray that someday she will learn how to let her fiery spirit work to her advantage.

Here is Camille proudly displaying the talk that we we came up with:

     Jesus said, "Come follow me" (Luke 18:22). The scriptures teach me about Jesus and the things He did when he was on earth. 
     Jesus loved everyone, and so can I.  I can forgive others.  I can smile and make new friends.  I can help my family and share my things (like candy with my brother).
     Jesus helped others. One time when I lived in Shelton I helped my mom by doing the dishes. Last night I helped her set the table.
     When I read scripture stories about Jesus, I learn how I can follow his example.  As a young boy, Jesus did many things that I can do.  Just like Jesus, I can obey my parents and learn about Heavenly Father's work.  As I learn more about Heavenly Father, I can teach others.  I am excited to be baptized like Jesus.  I can't heal the sick like Jesus did, but I can help them by taking them dinner, or just calling them so they know I care. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

And here's another picture just because she's cute.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent talk Camille! I loved the part about loving everyone, just like Jesus did.

    ReplyDelete