Sunday, July 11, 2010

Independence Day

This year's 4th of July was truly an Independence Day celebration, and it lasted for two days! On Saturday the 3rd we went over to the Braunton's house for a BBQ and fireworks. When we got home we watched 1776, a musical about the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Sunday we enjoyed a wonderful day of church and came home for a quiet evening with baby Joseph. Todd and I read a little about John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and the divinity of the Declaration of Independence. What a wonderfully inspired document for a country whose founding was truly guided by the hand of God.

This year Independence Day was different for me. Perhaps because it landed on a Sunday, and the patriotic songs we sang while standing penetrated my soul. Or perhaps because the sacrifices for our country have hit closer to home this year.

It was inspiring yet sobering to spend this holiday with friends who have personally sacrificed for our country. I have a friend whose husband recently returned home from deployment, and it was joyous to see them together at the BBQ.

There was another woman who was waiting for her husband to return home. He was supposed to come home on the fourth, but was delayed a few days. She and her sweet daughters were so excited to have him home again, I could feel the anticipation surrounding them as they celebrated with us. It was a blessing to see them finally together again at church today.

Then there was the friend whose husband paid the ultimate price for our country with his life. She came to visit friends and do some of the things she and her husband were doing together this time last year. At church that day, my brother-in-law happened to look down at her holding her sweet little girl. As the congregation stood together and sang the national anthem, she was the only one who held her hand over her heart as she sang. This woman is an inspiration to me. She is so brave and I admire how passionate she is about life despite the loss of her husband. During this trip she ran a marathon, and that's not a figure of speech. She ran a real 26 mile marathon. No, she's not a runner. I'm not sure she even likes to run, but it was one of the things her husband had on his bucket list. She is going through it one thing at a time until it's completed. She is living her life for him.

Who am I living my life for? Do I value freedom as much as these women? Do I use my freedom to bless the lives of others? I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for the freedom that is available to us all through our Savior Jesus Christ. It is my prayer that I will live my life more fully for those I love...especially my Heavenly Father.

1 comment: