Saturday, June 5, 2010

Welcome Little "No-Name"

One would think that nine months is a sufficient amount of time to name a child. Even I used to think so. But alas, that is not the case in our family...at least not this time around.

Our little bun in the oven decided not to wait for the timer to go off. He's here and cooked to perfection! After my water broke and my contractions started we realized we'd better decide on a name for this little guy. When he was born, we felt even more urgency. As the nurses changed shifts they would look for the name on his bassinet and inquire. Each time we had to sheepishly look at each other and admit we hadn't decided on a name yet. Then when the gal from the birth records department came with paperwork to fill out, we realized we'd better buckle down and find some common ground. Luckily they don't rush paperwork off from the hospital to the numerous state departments. Changing his name could have been a real hassle, but luckily we only had to call the hospital and they took care of the rest. (We couldn't decide in nine months...what made you think we could decide in the two days we were at the hospital?) Welcome baby Dallin Joseph!

After MUCH deliberation we finally agreed on Joseph David. This name is almost as special as the sweet spirit we gave it to. Joseph was the name Todd chose, as it carries much significance throughout the scriptures. From Joseph of Egypt who saved not only a nation, but his family, to the lineage of Christ. I should get Todd to write his feelings because he has such a love for this name and the child it goes to.  David is the name I chose because it was the first name of both our fathers. It was hard for me to give up the name Noah (which I wanted very much), but I hope that this name and the child possessing it will bring honor to the three most important fathers I have ever known: my own father, my sweet husband, and my Father in Heaven. I love them all dearly for the many sacrifices they have made for me. I hope my life and my children will be worthy of those sacrifices as we strive to walk in their paths.
When Joseph was first born he was so alert! His beautiful big eyes were looking at me (but you don't want to see those first pictures of us, trust me) and he was wiggling that little tongue of his all over the place. Not only did little Joseph come a week early, he didn't intend to wait for the doctor to get there either. I breathed through as many contractions as I could without pushing, but there was no stopping this kid! Poor Dr. Nickel was literally a minute too late.
After our bonding time they did all the necessary cleanup in our birthing room. He was 6 lbs. 10 oz. and 20 inches long. He didn't cry for his shot, but when they changed his diaper...Holy Hannah! The kid has a set of lungs and still hates to be naked.
First Bath

Tate wanted to send all sorts of things to the hospital with me. When we were at home and I was trying to clean up from my water breaking, he passed through a pamphlet about car theif protection he had picked up at the car dealership. He also wanted me to take this bear to the hospital for the baby so we honored that request.


4 comments:

  1. Welcome baby Joseph! He looks so sweet and we can't wait to meet him. I cannot get over how grown up Camille looks holding her new baby brother- what a big helper you're going to have! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!! Love the Pictures! Is it me, I think he looks alot like Camille. He is so sweet and I am SO excited for your family!!! It almost makes me want to do it again!! (Almost) But I think I will let you handle the babies from here on out, I'm in retirement. (heehee)

    Congrats! Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jess, I cried through the whole blog. Especially at the naming part. It's a perfect name and a perfect story. I love you guys and am so happy for you. I can't wat to meet little Joseph David!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess he is adorable! congratulations to your whole family!!! i hope you are doing well! and we'd love to come meet him... we seriously need to play this summer!!

    ReplyDelete